	From: On all aspects of Russia and the FSU [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Oleg Golubchikov
	Sent: 25 March 2008 09:00
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: FT interview with Medvedev

	Interview transcript: Dmitry Medvedev

	Published: March 24 2008 21:54 | Last updated: March 24 2008 21:54

	Lionel Barber, editor of the Financial Times, Neil Buckley, Moscow bureau chief, and Catherine Belton, Moscow correspondent, interviewed Dmitry Medvedev, president-elect of the Russian Federation, in the Kremlin, Moscow, on March 21 2008. Below is an edited transcript

	FINANCIAL TIMES: Mr President Elect, what will be your top three priorities when you take office?

	DMITRY MEDVEDEV: I think these priorities are completely obvious. The main one is to continue the social and economic course which has emerged and evolved in our country in recent years. The goal of this course is to improve the quality of life for all Russian citizens.

	We have managed to turn around the economic situation - we have become a much stronger state in this regard. Russia has joined the seven biggest economies in terms of purchasing power, but that's not all. The main challenge now is to translate these economic successes into social programmes to show that developing the economy improves the lives of every Russian citizen. In recent times we have begun to implement some social programmes in the areas of education and healthcare and I believe that it's very important to maintain and develop these programmes, getting on with the full-scale modernising of work in healthcare and education, as well as making it possible for the majority of Russian citizens to improve their housing conditions, which is also very important. And finally, Russia has pursued and will be pursuing a well-balanced foreign policy, aiming to defend its own interests in a non-confrontational way, so that Russia's positions will contribute towards strengthening world security. Thus there are several priorities - to maintain economic stability, to develop economic freedoms, to promote social programmes and to ensure that Russia sustains its position in the world.

??????? ?? SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/lru>  ? ?????????? ????????? ?????????!