Does it have to be sharks?  The Marine Fisheries Agency has some data on local species: http://www.mfa.gov.uk/statistics/ukseafish.htm.  You could use dogfish for local species (almost a shark).  You may find useful links here: www.fishbase.org.

I’m not sure how easy it will be to get a distribution not relating to size-age data.  If you have journal access check out some of the main marine biology journals.  Have a search through Web of Knowledge if you have Athens access: http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/

Hope that’s of some help.

Pam

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Angela Hall
Sent: 15 May 2008 17:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Data on shark size

Hi,

I have just joined this list, so am trying it out!

I am writing a chapter for the new A level course Science in Society. I would like a graph showing size frequency distribution data for adult sharks (any species will do!). I have managed to find catch data – but this includes juveniles.

I want to make a point about stabilising selection, so want the data to show a normal distribution curve for size (length or weight) – rather than a curve relating to age distribution. I will, of course, acknowledge any source.

Many thanks

Angela

Angela Hall,

Director,

Nuffield Curriculum Centre,

28, Bedford Square,

London WC1B 3JS

Tel: 020 7636 4612

Fax: 020 7436 1869

www.nuffieldfoundation.org

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on
behalf of the BA (British Association for the Advancement of Science)
********************************************************************** 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk