Thanks Jack.

I will explore your suggestions.  I think that in a number of the students' PPVs there are often indications of the educational influence the author is having, but ofttimes barely recognised/ taken for granted/ down played (how much do we need to move from the deficit 'how can I improve ...?' to the more appreciative 'how I did achieve ...?' to explore the elements of good/ expert practice?)

I've responded to Pip's ideas with a focus on her point that  “that these changes are indicative of an epistemological transformation in what counts as educational knowledge"

I might add, that in the conversations with my Learning Development peers, Meeta and Heather, there has been an enunciation of the concept of epistemological-"I', as distinct from the grammatical-"I" of the text.  My linguistics colleagues are recognising that teaching the use of "I" as a grammatical exercise, a text construction technique, is not sufficient to make the moves we are grappling to express, to describe, and to indicate how we are recognising when we are evaluating assignments.

The use of the term 'epistem-' takes me back to my reading of King and Kitchener, and their views and research about the development of reflective judgment (rather than 'critical thinking' - and perhaps in some of the circumscribed use of 'critical thinking'), as a move towards a more 'open epistemology'.

Bringing some of this back to 'breaking free from the traditional scholarship model' focus, I would share that during the middle stage of my thesis development, when I was struggling to 'do the literature chapter' I echo-ed a comment heard back in 2000 from a young postgraduate student who was railing against taking up other scholars' material, and asking about the 'originality' factor being sought in PhD assessment, and asking why do so much of the literature work, if it was your own original thinking that was to be recognised?.   My bleat, to a peer, was in regard to finding that as I read my scholarly area, and drafting material for my 'lit chapter', I was also taking on the terminology of these writers, and therefore wondering 'whose thesis is this anyway?'

It took me another two years to move to the point where I was able to deal with the scholarly material at both the beginning of my writing and at the end, representing what had been my experience: that the material in the field (the literature, the documented practice knowledge of other practitioners, who also researched) had instructed my thinking and professional development design (so upfront placing my idea within a body of knowledge), and then later at the end of the thesis, when the revisiting of the material in the field was now informing more of my understanding that had developed out of (1) the implementation and evaluation of the design, (2) the gathering and processing of data, (3) the working on my understanding to build a coherent representation of a model used to help me think about what I was doing and why, and how it was probably working.

To learn the first discipline of attending to the field enough to identify a gap, is one step.  To learn to move beyond there, to learn to change, to have one's own authoritative (or 'assertoric' voice as John Heron puts it) stance to the research that you have done, and are now reporting to the field, is another learning task, and one which takes time - so says my thesis argument.

Dianne