I remember ploughing through Sean O'Brien's Deregulated Muse and
thinking that he was giving the English (male) poets the short end of
the stick, except for one, a Northern poet heavily into mysticism and
religion. Kind of struck me then that O'Brien was basically saying
that if you aren't religious (or Irish), then you can't write "real"
or "good" poetry. He didnt outright say this, but the implication was
there. Of course, if you say this directly then your attacks are
undermined, and to me you look pretty bloody stupid if that is what
you mean. All that verbiage about what makes interesting poetry, all
that "balance", all for nothing. If you follow the Jesus path then you
can't do any wrong. Become an unbeliever and any generosity is thrown
out the window.

You see, that's the problem: I'm quite happy for christians - or
anyone of any religious persuasion - to write poetry. I often find
that it's those who are religious are the ones who cannot find it in
their hearts to include other poetries.

But hey, don't let me stop you attacking anyone's work on the basis of
their beliefs.  If you feel that's what you want to do, you go ahead.
I can't stop you being stupid. Just don't expect me to rollover and
play quiet.

Roger

--
My Stuff: http://www.badstep.net/
"She went out with her paint box, paints the chapel blue