Well can outdo that I once met Andrew Burke -not sure if he bought me a pint
though??next time maybe

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of andrew burke
Sent: 13 May 2008 06:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doris Lessing

I met Doris Lessing up in Singapore once. I was nervous: I expected an
aggressive feminist with a fiercesome intellect and vocabulary to match.
Instead, in walked this nice old lady, somewhat befuddled, carrying far too
much. She had been to a school and then taken straight to our panel
discussion at the World Book Fair (or somesuch title). When we met she was
politely interested in where I came from, etc, but her main worry was her
strangely shaped stutue, awarded by the school. (Wherever you talk in Asia,
you are presented with some gift or other.) I saw the stutue had been
assembled wrongly and started to disassemble it when the panel meeting
began. We made a pact: I would fix the statue if she would talk to the
audience by herself. It was a very pleasant meeting, although I didn't
listen to a word she said, so intent was I in getting this abstract
flame-style stutue to work. When she finished I had finished, so she was
thrilled with her hideous plastic gift, mounted on highkly polished wood.
She was a very nice person, and I only wish we had spent some time together
when I wasn't so awed.

Such are my brushings up against the celebrities of the world!

Andrew

http://hispirits.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aburke/