From: David Bircumshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:04:55 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Divided about Prynne

I was pondering the other day on what I really do feel about
J.H.Prynne's writings, as I must confess they put me in a divided
position of not knowing what I think or 'feel', now I know that he
sometimes writes poems in Classical Chinese, and I'm very aware of the
distance between the written and the spoken in that, so I was thinking
is that Prynne is in some ways trying to treat written English as if
it were an equivalent in relation between text and sound as Classical
Chinese, so I decided to do some searching on the web and came up with
something totally different, and unexpected. These three snips
following a from a poetry discussion group called Eratosphere:

<snip 1>I also wonder whether deafness affects the way he perceives
poetry: the only two deaf poets I know of (Jack Clemo and David
Wright) were deafened rather than born deaf, but do deaf people
perhaps perceive the 'concrete' aspects of poetry rather than hearing
a 'voice' in their heads?<end snip 1>

<snip 2>I'm with the others, crap like Prynne's work and the
incredibly overintellectual posturing that passes for criticism of it
is what drove me from the academic/poetic world decades ago and turned
me into a photographer.

But that's neither here nor there. The reason I'm commenting at all,
is that I am total deaf myself, and yet I am a metrical formalist,
albeit not as formal a one as some here. For whatever relevance that
has to your observations above...<end snip 2>

<snip 3>Deafness: my friend became profoundly deaf twenty years ago:
most of his friends now are also deaf, he says that he has difficulty
in remembering what a word on the page now sounds like and certainly
his speech is very obscure. When he lost his hearing in an accident he
decided that the best solution was to be deaf rather than deafened. As
an argument that this need not affect his love of poetry in what is
now an almost forgotten language, there's Isaiah Berlin's account of
meeting Anna Akhmatova who began reciting incomprehensibly: it was
only afterwards Berlin learned that Akhmatova was reciting Byron in
what she thought was English!<end snip 3>

all from:
www.ablemuse.com/erato/ubbhtml/Forum3/HTML/000239.html

It's a bit different to James Keery's 50-page essay in Jacket on
Veronica Forrest-Thompson and a reading of a single poem of Prynne's

http://jacketmagazine.com/20/vft-keery.html

Now I was for years on a group where Prynne's poetry was held in
almost totemic status, but nobody ever mentioned that he was deaf. I
don't know why: almost any discussion of Aaron Williamson's poems will
begin from the fact of deafness. It effects radically how I see his
writing. It also gives a new shade to Prynne's call for a space for
innovative reading which:

'can be intelligibly active as a practice of inscribing new sets of
sense-bearing differences upon the schedule of old ones'.

from 'Stars, Tigers and the Shape of Words' a series of lectures by Prynne.

Which is a problem for me as I am not deaf, and although I can have an
imaginative perception of deafness, I can only read as if I am with
extreme difficulty, and I can't take such a way of reading as
normative.

--
David Bircumshaw
Website and A Chide's Alphabet