Kasper

Having a gang-war installed without invitation in my head is how the
British poetry scene makes me feel. My own position is that of someone
who, though having had a couple of books published, and helping to
promote readings and workshops, doesn't earn any income from poetry
nor aspires to, nor teaches literature professionally.
My involvement with poetry, which has been very extensive over several
decades, is that of someone who does it because I like the stuff. I've
met many of the people on both sides of the gang-wars and like people
everywhere they're most ok exactly when they're not (!). But I find
myself almost in a mental state of paranoid mistrust when comes to any
polemics, articles, anthologies, pictures, representations of current
British poetry that have, as it were, 'status'.
For instance, I know who the representative of 'ordinary readers'
Astley quotes is and I know there I'm reading the voice of yet another
self-seeking clique. I guess it doesn't do to get to know too much
about any human social group: it makes you just want to walk away in
despair.
When poetry is at a level of discussion groups like this, or local
groups of people wgho just like writing, it's fine, but when it comes
to 'literary scene', oh man.

Best

Dave