Hi Francois,

There is indeed 'confusion between Design and Fine Arts'. This is not my own confusion, however. I think it is inherent in the discourse of a 'creative economy'.
As I understand it, the agencies and practices associated with this discourse position creativity as imperative to the development of a knowledge-based economy.  The Cox Review definitions of Creativity, Innovation and Design are part of this, as others have indicated on this list.
'Creativity' is the generation of new ideas - either new ways of looking at existing problems, or of seeing new opportunities, perhaps by exploiting emerging technologies or changes in markets.
'Innovation' is the successful exploitation of new ideas. It is the process that carries them through to new products, new services, new ways of running the business or even new ways of doing business.
'Design' is what links creativity and innovation. It shapes ideas to become practical and attractive propositions for users or customers. Design may be described as creativity deployed to a specific end.

This is all very well, but I think that creativity is still generally understood through the social category of Fine Art - we see plenty of evidence of this in the sponsorship of art/science collaborations, even though the artist is often called a designer

http://www.stillliving.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au/pages/artists/index.htm

http://www.stillliving.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au/pages/artists/index.htm

It is not  surprising that creativity tends to be understood as art, as historically, the institutional arrangements and training associated with the arts were where creativity was 'attached' to particular persons.

I've been documenting how this is working out in my own institution, where fashion design is becoming more 'creative'. It used to be a polytechnic course focused on design and technology.  Now it is engaging with Fashion Theory and the fine arts. I'd like to think that art is finally becoming a civil democratic medium (Weibel, 2005). But I'm not holding my breath.

Regards,
Amanda

Weibel, P. (2005). Art  and Democracy: People Making Art Making People. In B. Latour & P. Weibel (Eds.), Making Things Public - Atmospheres of Democracy. Karlsruhe, Germany: MIT Press and ZKM.

Amanda Bill
Lecturer, Fashion & Textile Design
College of Creative Arts
Massey University, Wellington