Very interesting, thank you for posting. It reminded me of  mindfulness based cognitive behavioural (MBCBT) therapy which is being researched and applied for a variety of conditions including depression, anxiety as well as a range of physical chronic illnesses and in palliative care. A lot of this work is being done at the University of Massachusetts Medical School http://www.umassmed.edu/content.aspx?id=41252

On another level, dual processing approaches are also being researched to look at how we communicate health messages and information. The theory (and some evidence) is that we   process information either more cognitively or affectively (e.g. do we let our hearts rule our minds, or vice versa?). Therefore there is a possibility that we may be able to tailor information to suit the individual so it is more effective both in how we communicate face-to-face and also in written info.

Be really interested to hear if anyone else knows more about either of these, or other contexts this right-left processing approach has been used in.

Thanks

Vicky