Hi

I would like to point out that my initial posting from the hip regarding
Leonardos copyright policies was not directed against Leonardo in
particular in any way. I totally respect the history and evident quality
of this medium, and I am greatful for Roger's explanations. So maybe in
the future I will submit an article if the same piece would still be
allowed to circulate freely on the net.

However, the turn the discussion then took, recently being about
citation metrics, shows a problem which remains unsolved even if
magazines like Leonardo commited themselves to a dual strategy. In the
eyes of the academic establishment only those texts count as 'published'
which have been published in those 'enclosed' peer reviewed journals. If
you are not publishing there you don't exist. This has real consequences
when you have to deal with funding bodies such as the AHRC with whom I
had only the worst kind of experiences. I have been making media art
work, curated shows and written and published for 25 years but in the
British academic system I am a nobody, an unwashed central european who
writes awkwardkly shaped sentences.

The introduction of a formal citation  metrics would only make things
worse and the moment my personal validation and wellbeing depends on
sharks such as Thomson Reuters I am out of here.

Extending such a system to artistic production would be an absurdity.
Who measures what in which way? For instance, in media art very often
the artists do not possess the necessary skills to carry out a work,
they need to hire technical people. If such a work gets exhibited now,
who gets the points? Often the technical people dont even get mentioned.
the golden Nica for Carnivore should maybe have been given to the
authors of tcpdump (command line network sniffer)

For the British acadmeic system it is a big problem that quality in art
can not be measured. So lets not try to do it.

Except maybe as a joke. I had this idea ten years ago but never carried
it out, so it is up for grabs. Its called Net art Futures and you can
invest in the future success of a net artist. You can also trade your
futures with other investors. To make this possible a widespread
monitoring system would have to be installed whereby artists can fill in
the information themselves: group exhibition 3 points, solo show 5
points, Biennale 10 points, mentioning on mailinglist 0.5 ;-) etc. The
excess money generated through this trading activity would go to artists
then as a subsidy, so artists have an incentive to keep their file up to
date.

Well, by now most of those derivatives would be penny stocks I am
afraid. But if a citation metrics had been in place in the early 1940ies
the reputation of a certain L Wittgenstein would also have been very
poor. The guy only published one short book, the Tractatus, and nothing
else afterwards. By the standards of metrics fetishists he would have
been a total failure

best
Armin