** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Dear all,

At C4DM, on Wednesday 4th June, Ye Wang from the National University
of Singapore will present a seminar on "Towards Mobile Music
Edutainment: A Multimedia Approach".

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering
Department, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London
E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at
http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of
future seminars. The room is under access control, so people from
outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number
is +44 (0)20 7882 7986 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the
lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen
Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-ones stuck outside
the doors...

All are welcome to attend. If you wish to be added to / removed from
our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Next seminar:
-------------------

16:00  Wednesday 4th June 2008

Towards Mobile Music Edutainment: A Multimedia Approach
Ye Wang
National University of Singapore

Abstract
I would like to give first a brief introduction to School of
Computing, National University of Singapore. This will be followed by
an overview of research activities in my group - Towards Mobile Music
Edutainment: A Multimedia Approach.

Modern mobile systems from mobile phones to laptops are becoming
increasingly more powerful in terms of computation, memory and
connectivity. Such devices typically have a very high degree of
integration of multimedia components (microphone, speaker, camera,
accelerometer, etc.) and functionalities (MP3 player, video caption
and playback, game, etc.). We seek to leverage on such capabilities
of mobile devices to facilitate music education and entertainment. I
will give an overview of two research projects: 1) multimedia-based
music content analysis for computer-assisted musical instrument
tutoring; 2) perception-aware low-power media processing for mobile
devices.

Biodata:
Ye Wang is an assistant professor in the department of computer
science at National University of Singapore since 2002. He received
his B.S from Southern China University of Technology in 1983, his
Diplom-Ingenieur (M.S.) from Technische Universität Braunschweig,
Germany in 1993, and his Ph.D. from Tampere University of Technology,
Finland in January 2002. He has worked as a research engineer and
senior research engineer at Nokia Research Center in Tampere, Finland
in 1994 – 2002. More information can be found at: http://
www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~wangye/.

If you'd like to present a seminar at C4DM, please get in touch, and
we'll see what we can do.

Steve Welburn
--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)