Also limbers... in numeorus ills. and some old p.graphs., the pony driver
can be sitting 'side saddle' fashion over the left hand limber - or shaft
(necessary for the proper driving position) - even though one  normally leads a
pony/horse with the left hand on the right hand side of  the animal! Re a horse
and cart, they are called shafts of course, but some  old Army terminology used
limbers as well, so the gnrl. terminology has been  'mixed' up a bit one way
and another shall we say! Most likely limmers is yet  another 'corruption'
shall we say, but they all mean the same thing at the end  of the day! Their true
definition is really a shaft, but in a mine a shaft  is a shaft and it is
best to keep this meaning what it means!

Regards, Bernard