Apologies for cross-posting:

Hanover, New Hampshire, 3–4 October 2008. "Crusade, Jihad, and Identity in the Medieval World," New England Medieval Conference, at Dartmouth. Keynote speakers include Benjamin Kedar (Hebrew University) and Maria Rosa Menocal (Yale). Conference organizers are looking for papers engaging the question of how ideologies of crusade and jihad, or resistance to them, helped shape religious, political, communal, personal and gender identities in the medieval period. Papers are welcome from history, art history, comparative literature, Middle Eastern studies, and other fields, covering Europe, the Mediterranean world, Islamic lands, Spain and frontier regions. Deadline: 15 June 2008. Contact: Cecilia Gaposchkin, [log in to unmask] or Christopher MacEvitt, [log in to unmask] .

Please let me know if you have questions, as I am one of the organizers. It is lovely here in October.

~cecilia gaposchkin

E-mail for the greater good. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft. ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html