Apologies for cross-posting. This is a reminder of the deadline for the one-day conference The Point of Feminism which will take place at the University of Reading on 12 September 2008.

The deadline for abstracts is 16 May.

The Point of Feminism

An interdisciplinary one-day conference looking at issues relating to feminism and media scholarship

University of Reading

The publicized closure of ‘Women’s Studies’ departments at an institutional level coupled with ‘post’ feminist discourses and the perceived irrelevance of feminism in neo-liberal societies, all indicate the social and political need to (re)visit feminisms. The aim of the conference is to reach a better understanding of issues facing scholars of media, and to situate these issues within a broader historical, institutional, political, social and cultural context. We are inviting proposals for an interdisciplinary (film, new/media, cultural, and communications studies) one-day conference at the University of Reading. The day will take the form of round table discussions and workshops chaired by established feminist scholars with opening and closing plenaries by

Sue Thornham (University of Sussex)

Maureen McNeill (University of Lancaster)

Christine Geraghty (University of Glasgow).

We are proposing to have workshops organised around (but not restricted to) the following strands:

  • Institution
  • Methodology
  • Pedagogy
  • Discursive Issues
  • Definition
  • Practice
  • Empirical Matters

Proposals should discuss the personal and/or political relationships of feminism with these themes. We will give particular consideration to proposals that critically reflect on research or teaching experience rather than straightforwardly present research outcomes. We are particularly interested in proposals by early career researchers and postgraduate students. The outcomes of the day will be disseminated through publication.

Deadline for sending us your proposals is 16 May 2008.

More information can be found on facebook, group ‘The Point of Feminism’

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10668406221

The day is organised by Helen Thornham (University of Bristol), Heather Sutherland (University of Reading) and Elke Weissmann (University of Reading), in association with MeCCSA’s Women’s Media Studies Network.

For further information or to send your proposal for a 5-10 minute contribution, please contact:

Heather Sutherland                                                       Elke Weissmann

[log in to unmask]                                       [log in to unmask]

University of Reading                                                    Helen Thornham

Film, Theatre and Television                                          [log in to unmask]

Bulmershe Court

Woodlands Avenue

Reading, RG6 1HY