Hi nick

CAN (Collections Australia Network) attempted this model a few years ago
to service regional and volunteer museums. We abandoned it after there
were problems with connectivity and bandwidth issues in some areas
(which in Australia still isn't solved).

We have a hybrid model at the moment whereby we can host collections,
host feeds, and also harvest collections. It isn't altogether
satisfactory but we hope after we relaunch with a new design and search
(the current beast is 5 years old), it will be considerably better.

The CaaS (collection as a service!) model is potentially a winner and I
believe that Vernon has been doing work in this area especially in New
Zealand. However it relies on a level of internet access that is rarely
distributed evenly amongst small museums - even now in the supposed
broadband age.

The OCLC has also, I think, put up a digital preservation hosting model
similar to Amazon S3 recently.

seb

Sebastian Chan
Manager, Web Services
Powerhouse Museum
street - 500 Harris St Ultimo, NSW Australia
postal - PO Box K346, Haymarket, NSW 1238
tel - 61 2 9217 0109
fax - 61 2 9217 0689
e - [log in to unmask]
w - www.powerhousemuseum.com