Hi Peter I am studying the Lunesdale Poor Law Union and I have seen lots
of evidence however I do not know how the people they were selected to
give evidence.  Cheers Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: From: Local-History list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Peter Park
Sent: 04 May 2008 12:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LOCAL-HISTORY] Parliamentary Select Committee Witnesses

Does anyone on the list know what the procedures were in the
mid-nineteenth century for selecting witnesses for Lords and Commons
Select Committees? A number of paupers appeared before Select Committees
into the workings of the Poor Law Amendment Act in the 1837-38 session
of Parliament. While it is reasonable to expect that they should give
evidence, it is of interest as to why some particular individuals were
called.

Peter Park.
Fulwood
Lancashire