And thanks for your prompt response, too - not least because it
confirms that I wasn't barking up the wrong tree about what you meant
by "scheme houses".

I've dug out another note since I wrote, which says that one of the
houses in the third development I mentioned as sold in 1937 for £385.
This was taken from the title deeds for that house, whereas the other
prices I quoted were from people's memories.  The developers had paid
£1,500 for the entire site, on which (as I said), they intended then
to build 52 houses. (They bought it from what I assume was one of the
firm's partners... who himself bought it the year before for £675... I
am not sure that they were engaged "upon a mission to encourage
property owning amongst the working class", even if that may have been
an outcome!)

Mike

I search the web and raise money for the Bowburn Banner Group with
Everyclick.
Join me: http://www.everyclick.com/msyer