From: From: Local-History list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JJ GREENWOOD
Sent: 05 May 2008 10:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LOCAL-HISTORY] Parliamentary Select Committee Witnesses

In my experience the witnesses were chosen by the members of the Select Committtee. Hence if such a Committee was packed with reformers then the witnesses tend to be those supporting their ideas. Those committees that were more open and tending more towards investigation and reporting called a greater range of witnesses.

In the end witnesses reflected the views of the most active committee members especially when the results had been pre-judged

Jeremy