It's not quite clear to me what you are seeking.

Is it the local history website of a specific location (or community) which is so good that it can be held up as an example for others to follow with regard to its style and format--at least as a starting point?

Or are you looking for a website which is so informative and well laid out that no-one researching a specific area (in compiling any local history website) can possibly do without referring to it?

If the latter is the case, then I have to recommend Peter Higginbotham's well established and regularly updated site on the workhouse which, while having many pages on the history of the workhouse in general, also includes what I should have thought was an indispensable gazetteer of individual workhouses arranged by location.

Pete Cracknell's site on county asylums and, dare I say it, my own on the Victorian Turkish bath, are two further examples of this type of site. In each case a gazetteer or directory lists known examples and individual pages deal with an increasing proportion of individual places; almost every page is a piece of local history which has to be researched using the documents of the locality above all else.

It could be argued that such sites fall more obviously into the category of social, rather than local history. But I think local historians need to become more aware of them. My own site, for example, lists over 600 Victorian Turkish baths in the British Isles and a couple of hundred more in the old Empire and the USA. There are separate articles on about one hundred of them and over 500 illustrations.

I mention all this, not to recommend my own site for inclusion in a list of just six--even I could not do that with a clear conscience--but because, although swimming pools are increasingly mentioned, you could probably count the number of local history books or websites which include anything about their own Turkish baths on the fingers of two hands. (I should be delighted to be proved wrong about this!).

My point is that there must be many other similar sites of value to the local historian which are relatively unknown. If this is not the type of article you are writing, I look forward with equal pleasure to a second article filling in the gap.

But I think your idea of increasing the coverage of local history on the web is excellent, and long overdue.

Best wishes,

Malcolm
--
Malcolm Shifrin

Visit our website, a not-for-profit educational project based in the UK

http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/