I have been following this thread with interest, because in my hobby
'postal history'  the mileage has always been important.  We have a page on
our website about it, which could be of interest because of the
illustration of a page from John Cary's survey of the roads for the Post
Office in 1802..

http://www.home.gil.com.au/~ears/mmintro.html

an extract from the early postage rates shows :
By Proclamation Charles 1 31 July 1635
within England, Wales and Scotland  not exceeding 80 miles  2d  for single
letter   exceeding 80 miles  not exceeding 140  4d  and exceeding 140 miles
6d.
Then from 1812 ro 1840 (before the introduction of the Penny Post)  the
rates were charged over graduated scales from  'not exceeding 15 miles'
to  '700 miles and over'   in 14 graduated stages,  so the mileage was very
important to the Post Office, and as Frank has said it was probably
dependent on  the reason the mileage was being measured.

Eunice in Queensland