I have to admit I am very proud to share what my colleages have captured
- Take a bow librarians!

-----Original Message-----
From: A discussion list for issues relating to New Zealand Public
Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard
Liddicoat
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PUBSIG] Junot Diaz on libraries

Many of you will be aware that the Christchurch City Libraries team has
been
covering the Auckland Writers and Readers festival.

I wanted to share some absolute gold with you that came from and
interview
with Pulitzer prize winner Junot Diaz.

I will paste the text below, those with web access can visit
http://cclblog.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/junot-diaz-on-librarians/ for
the
excerpt

or

http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Guides/GoodReads/WritersandReaders/20
08/Auckland/JunotDiaz/

for the full no-holds barred interview.

Take a bow librarians!

Richard Liddicoat.

Free Armani for the rest of your life

We had decided to ask most of our interview subjects about libraries,
and if
he wasn't a rock star before, Diaz won himself a librarian army when he
said:

"Libraries are a weird thing if you actually think about it. It's sort
of
like the logic of capital minus the logic of capital. It's a place where
you
can get books for free - and as long as you bring them back -
everything's cool.

"Could you imagine a clothing cultural component like that? Where you
could,
as long as you orderly waited and wrote your name on a list, rent out an
Armani suit in brand new condition and just wear it and bring it back?

"Both are products, it's just an accident of history that we've
attributed
one a cultural component and the other not. For a poor kid a library to
me
was as like a miracle to me as if you discovered if you could sign your
name
and take out a whole wardrobe of Armani clothes. Every day. For the rest
of
your life. That's what a library felt like."

The assured, velvety-smooth drawl went on as whatever song the librarian
army would sing was turned up to 11 on the old rotary dial stereo in
staffrooms around the nation.

"I never understood the image of librarians in popular culture. Old,
sort-of
doddering - every librarian I ever had was incredibly young, energetic
and
hip - even if they were 60. And would take their time for this snot-nose
kid
from the Dominican Republic to guide them to texts."

"Everyone has this idea of the valiant archetype - the scout who leads
you
through the new land. New Zealand has that, the myths of all their like
pioneers; Australia, the United States.

"In the end, the only forest really worth being led through is the
forest of
the mind, books. In a sense librarians are these incredible scouts for
this
inner frontier. No-one views it as that but for me it was more important
than anything having those kinds of scouts who would guide you..."
The dream of the unwritten book

Interviews are a weird way to meet people most of the time. You ask them
tell you a story, so that you can tell that story to someone else. You
get
paid to do so. It can feel like your are rummaging through their
drawers, or
rifling through their wallet as you take little snippets of lives and
tell
other people about them.

Sometimes you get gifts that astonish you, words or revelations that you
would have to double cross the devil to get. The devil might come after
me,
so read this quick - it is payback for all the times you've helped
someone
by the simple act of giving them a book.

"Everybody makes a living in the arts world off playing up how rough and
how
tough and how loveless and how edgy their lives were," Diaz went on.

"Mine was as tough as the next person; it wasn't a fun time. Librarians
were
the one utopian constant in a world that has no utopian constants. It
was
the only gift that I still dream about."

I keep my mouth firmly shut, not knowing what was coming.

"There's not a night that goes by that I don't dream that I'm in a
library
and I find a book that's never been written - a new Melville novel, a
new
Toni Morrison novel. In my dreams I always wake up when I check the book
out. I have these dreams non-stop."

Junot Diaz, rock star and superhero, I cross my arms with the double
devil
sign. Your suits are due back next Tuesday.

or visit http://wwwlists.ccc.govt.nz/archives/PUBSIG-L.html

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended
addressed.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch
City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz