-----Original Message-----
From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brine, Jenny
Sent: 06 May 2008 11:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Splitting the list to separate out ILL requests?

Dear colleagues,
I too would prefer to keep a single inclusive list.
lis-medical gives an overview of what is going on in medical libraries
in the UK and even though the detail of work in NHS libraries is not
directly relevant to  me it is useful to have some idea of what is
affecting sectors other than my own.

The subject line of the email clearly indicates that an ILL request is
involved and in most cases I don't bother to even check our catalogue as
I know it isn't the sort of material we hold.  But on occasion I can
help and am happy to simply delete the emails which I know don't involve
me.

That said, there IS a mailing list specifically for interlending and
document supply librarians and many requests for obscure materials
posted there are successful. Quite a few people working in libraries
abroad are on that list too, which makes it particularly useful for
foreign-language requests.  It is a jisc list called lis-ill. (I'm its
list-owner because I was an ILL librarian in my last post). You are
welcome to join it for just a few days if you want to post a request for
something which has not been satisfied from lis-medical.

There has also been mention of a national union catalogue of journals.
It may be more productive to consult SUNCAT, a general union catalogue
of serials which is expanding rapidly and is available to everyone
free-of-charge.
http://www.suncat.ac.uk/
It is very useful for verifying details of journals, especially older
and foreign-language titles.

Jenny

Dr Jenny Brine
Subject Librarian,
Health & Medicine, Mathematics & Statistics,
Computing & Communication Systems,
Lancaster University Library
Bailrigg
Lancaster