Dear all,

I am currently in the process of cataloguing the Printing Record belonging
to the firm of Bartholomew's.

I have come across a map entitled British Africa, measuring 23cm x 16cm in
its entirity. It was printed on the 15th October 1890 and a run of only
306 were printed.

It has the words Black, White and Yellow written across the top in an arch
with a knotted bow in those colours below it. It is also borderd by three
bands, again in black, yellow and white. The black band has the words
Negro, ebony, rubber and iron in it, the gold band contains the words
Arab, gums, palm-oil and gold and the white band contains the words
European, ivory, cotton and diamonds.

Forgive me for perhaps labouring the description but if anyone could shed
any light at all on this map I would be most grateful. I'd be especially
interested to know the significance of the Black, White and Yellow theme
and any explanation for why it might have been printed.

Any help gratefully received.

Karla Baker