I think, Mitchell is right. According to my tests, the default seems to
be that
SwetsWise will link to the HTML Fulltext version of the article. (The
request
is recognized as coming from Swets because the SwetsWise symbol is
displayed at the top left of the HTML in front of the journal volume page
identification.) To get the PDF from there, is another click (and
doubles the
access statistics, by the way). If basic authentication is by IP, this
still does
not authenticate you automatically, if you are on the wrong ip network and
don't use VPN. However, authentication may happen to be by Athens or
Shibboleth, not VPN, and I am not sure whether this could be an issue here.
(It would be useful if someone could try it via Athens or Shibboleth.)

Sometimes, the PDF display problem is rather browser related. In such
cases, the trick to download first, then open, often helps. (It may be
required to rename the downloaded file as *.pdf, or alternatively one can
configure the browser to not display the PDF inline but rather launch a PDF
reader or offer the file for download.)

The blank screen problem (and timeout problem) I mentioned in my previous
posting is more often associated when Swetswise authenticates you at the
other end or works as a proxy. Of course it occurs only by exception and
intermittently but I encountered it quite often.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library

Universitätsbibliothek
Universität Stuttgart
Holzgartenstrasse 16
70550 Stuttgart