John - Such as, say, PostGenomic? (http://postgenomic.com/)

Repositories have done an OK job on the functions of preserving and
searching for papers. They have been largely useless as a way of
keeping tabs on interesting developments in your domain and inspiring
new research ideas. This is where the SN approach shines - augmenting
our existing social networking we do via conferences, research
seminars, and (aargh) mailing lists with some new techniques.