Hi Santy,

Don't know which Phil this was aimed at - but I'll make a couple of
comments anyway!

The reason Google gave for the amount of effort being disproportional to
the amount of gain was because less than two hundred sites were using
that method (a number that would hardly register a blip in the Google
empire!). And that doesn't surprise me too much - installing an OAI-PMH
repository specifically to get your pages on Google would be a lot to
ask an administrator. We were using this technique with Intute, but that
was because we had a repository set up anyway.

But that doesn't disguise the large amount of resources that are
required to normalize IR metadata. You could argue that isn't a fault
with the OAI-PMH protocol, though, but is due to the simple fact that
there is no standard format for exporting metadata from repositories -
even though they all have to use Simple DC, there are quite a few ways
in which that is used. And I think that problem will be there no matter
what transport protocol is used to exchange the metadata.

I think there is a suggestion there that an agreed richer metadata
format could be widely adopted, e.g. SWAP anyone? ;)

Phil Cross

--
Phil Cross