Hi John,

I can see social networking techniques replacing (or supplementing) coffee
> break meetings and even the old invisible college idea.

Yes, I would see social media is supplementing coffee breaks meetings,
conferences and the like.  I not only want to be able to read your emails
but I want to be able to speak with you face-to-face as well.

> However, unless you have specially designed social networking services
> focussed on the needs of researchers (and subject specific) the
> possibilities seem limited.

You raise an interesting point, namely that there is a possibility that
services that arise on the web may not be sufficiently well adapted to the
specific needs of academic communities to be of use to them. I don't know
how 'designed' those academic services might have to be to be useful, but if
there is enough awareness then perhaps their development can be shaped in a
better way as they evolve?

> Although now quite an old idea I still see a role for virtual journals.

If you mean open access journals, then I would hope that their role
increases!  Without journals, open access repositories and preservation,
what would scholarly social networks have to share and talk about?

>  We still need to have humans who actually 'understand' rather than
> compare keywords in the loop. Only with understanding can you see analogies
> and recognise the possible usefulness of discoveries in other fields.

As Scott Wilson says in his reply, 'This is where the SN approach shines'.

> I agree entirely about watching what people do with these social
> networking (and other information related) tools. I think what we can
> predict with certainty is that they will do things the designers never
> intended :-) .

Quite, and not knowing how it will shake down makes it interesting to
follow.

Best regards,

David Kane
Systems Librarian