Hi Les,

It's certainly giving us a lot to talk about this afternoon!  ;-)

As you know, I see these social networks as a discovery layer, that
functions as a reducing valve - dealing with information overload by
harnessing the combined wisdom of your particular 'crowd' or crowds.

But yes indeed, the repository infrastructure and the metadata are
needed as a foundation to this ephemeral, yet increasingly important
social networking layer.  The search, storage and management of the
data itself will always be important.

How could this work in practice?  Repositories themselves could import
social data, from social platforms like connotea.org*, citeulike ...,
or there could be some kind of interaction between repositories
themselves.  Perhaps the repository service model could be invoked in
some way to facilitate this.  It's an area that is wide open, in my
opinion and developments in it won't replace so much as extend what
has gone before.  An 'emergent property' of the existing
infrastructure perhaps?

David.

*http://tinyurl.com/4wgngl

--