From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Clare Bond
Sent: 15 May 2008 12:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Structural modelling session - GSA Houston 2008

Dear Geotectonics members

At the forthcoming GSA in Houston October 5th-9th 2008, myself and co-chairs are organising a session on structural modelling and uncertainty analysis for hydrocarbon recovery. We encourage contributions from academics and industry representatives on structural modelling as a tool to minimise uncertainty and increase efficiency in hydrocarbon exploration and recovery.

T70. Structural Modeling-Impacts on Hydrocarbon Recovery and Uncertainty Analysis

Sponsors: GSA Structural Geology and Tectonics Division; Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies

Session chairs: Clare E. Bond (Midland Valley), Bob Krantz (ConocoPhillips), Alan D. Gibbs (Midland Valley), Zoe K. Shipton (University of Glasgow).

Structural framework models created from equivocal geological data have a high risk for hydrocarbon exploration. This session explores techniques for structural analysis and modeling to create viable structural models and assess hydrocarbon play potential.

Creation of a structural model requires a range of skills and analyses to ensure a viable model. In this session we are interested in exploring structural modelling techniques and their effectiveness in determining a feasible model or models for a data set. From a single model or set of feasible models we are interested in understanding how best to determine uncertainty in structural framework models and hence potential impact on play prognosis. The time and effort required to create and assess models is a crucial factor for the, economically focused, hydrocarbon industry. Demonstrating the impact of structural modelling for informing economic risk management and influencing decisions is important, not only for continued investment in structural analysis but also for effective resource extraction and reduction of drilling surprises.

This session is designed to investigate current thoughts and best practice in the area of uncertainty analysis of structural models by bringing together key players from both the hydrocarbon industry and academia.

The abstract deadline is June 3rd and submission must be made online from the following link.

http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2008/sessions/topical.asp

Best wishes

Clare

Dr Clare Bond