Hello GEM-ers

Some people had asked for responses to my enquiry about a chain mail based art/craft activity for schools. Here are the responses:

you could try using pliers to wind wire around a pencil. It has to be thick enough to hold its shape.

You can by ready cut mail on various arms and armour sites too.

My own way, aeons ago, didn’t involve riveting but DID involve pliers and hammers and small anvils, plus fairly close supervision (about one adult to every three or four kids).  They’d be better off making coats-of-plates, or scale armour… round-nose scissors, card, and paper fasteners… easy!

As one of our workshops is making mail - the real way with wire rings and pliers but without the rivets - I have to say that your request did seem to be a contradiction in terms. Realistic, riveted mail with pipecleaners! However I register that your need is really for a simple, lightly supervised art activity so I think I can suggest a solution.

Garden centres sell small, lightweight, keyring style rings which I believe are actually used to help stake plants to small sticks. If the packs are too small for your requirements, you could always go straight to the manufacturer - they might be intrigued enough to help you out! However they are light enough that they could be linked together in fours with minimal risk to children's fingers and would end up with a rather more realistic effect than non-metal options.

The special effects people who did all the mail for The Lord of the Rings films wove together and then heat riveted over 2 million plastic rings - sliced from small gauge pipe I believe - so all things are possible!

I'm a modelmaker, a metalworker, a science show presenter and a designer and maker of hands-on interactive exhibits, and I can't think of an easy or cheap way of making realistic looking riveted chain mail - the truth is that it was never easy or cheap to make, for very good reasons. Put simply the links were individually riveted to stop them bursting open under the impact of things like spear points and arrows. Links that are simply closed together (like the modern chain mail used in protective gauntlets for butchers) stand up to chopping blows, as from a swung sword or an axe, quite well. If you shoot arrows at this stuff, or poke it with spears then the links will open up and let the point of the weapon through to the discomfiture of the wearer. So people who expected they were going to have arrows shot at them, or be poked with spears, and who had the cash were willing to pay the extra to have chain mail made from riveted links in the interests of survival. If you change the focus of your workshop from being a making things activity to being an investigation into the properties of chain mail activity you will, I think, get something rather better - and something which will link into CDT as well as history. Actually talking about the work chain mail had to do, and doing some demonstrations with a sharp axe, some arrows and a couple of bits of chain mail will get a class really, er, riveted. This activity will also allow people to start imagining the full horrors of a medeival battlefield

Some of you had also asked about the pipecleaner chain mail activity.

This is simply a extra activity which is left out on our craft table for all visitors to the exhibition.  The children can simply use the pipecleaners to make simple and safe chain mail links. It doesn't have to be supervised, so is useful if, like us, you like to have 'leave out, no supervision required activities.' However, you can, as I often do, spend time with children illustrating how riveting the chain mail (by twisting the ends of the pipe cleaners together) made it much stronger than simply butting the ends of each link together. It's very basic and is certainly not designed to be a workshop in itself, it's purely for added value and entertainment! That said, children become very absorbed with it, and it's a suitable craft for a wide age range, which can be maintained very cheaply and with absolute minimal staffing time. If you have an area  in your exhibition where you leave out simple crafts and colouring or drawing equipment, this is an ideal extra activity! Also, it's good if you operate with a limited budget....

Again, thanks to everyone. Good food for thought!

Regards

Evelyn

The National Trust for Scotland for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty is a charity registered in Scotland, Charity Number SC007410

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please notify us immediately by telephone and delete the e-mail. Neither The National Trust for Scotland nor the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Any views or other information in this e-mail which do not relate to our business are not authorised by us. This e-mail does not form part of any contract unless so stated.