Hi Michael,

Nudge (Nudge_gui on the mac) is an FSL tool that allows you to translate, rotate and scale a mask manually and generate a new transform matrix for it...normally this is used to improve registration...but I think it would allow you to do what you want as well...you'll find it mentioned here and there in the FSL archives.

My biggest hurdle with ImageJ was making sure my image got properly flipped around to view the way that I wanted to in ImageJ and then got back into the right format for fsl...

ImageJ won't read nii.gz files but if you gunzip the files, it'll read nii files (with the nfti plugin available on their plugins page...).  There is also an analyze plugin, if that is what you need.

ImageJ allows you to create rois and save them independently of the images themselves...and, like fsl, there is a helpful community of people who will share suggestions and send you tools...

I hope that is useful,

-Dianne