Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 16:13:30 +0200
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: garden-variety
To: [log in to unmask]

Film does figure here - it is N. Carroll that uses
'garden variety' when speaking about emotions in film (just to distinguish
'basic emotions', commonly spoken about, from other kinds of complex, not easy
to describe, emotions).

Now, thou the common rhetorical force of
'garden variety' may be to minimize the importance of 'garden variety
things', it is not the case in recent philosophical texts - 'garden variety'
marks well researched and generally known things, without
implication that they are less important. It is particular context
that activates this or that connotative valency of the word, and my
translation problem have been how to ensure the context where Croatian 'obični'
for 'garden variety' in new philosophycal use would not imply 'plain',
and wolud not loose the 'colorfulness' of the English
idiom.

Hrvoje

  while
  film doesn't figure here, i hope filmosophers will find this worth pursuing a
  bit - if not we can continue off list

  hrvoje
  writes:

  We have 'običan',
  its English equivalent is 'common', 'plain' - and it is obviously quite
  close to the concept of garden variety, though this 'plain' aspect of 'običan'
  is not what is ment when the 'garden-variety emotions' are spoken about (they
  are common, but not plain).

  and
  i wonder if we might see this term "običan" as closer to "garden variety" than
  he suspects . . .  specifically, in garden variety american speech one
  can -- especially if one wants to  minimize its seriousness - talk, for
  example, about "garden variety" emotion . . . imagine a scenario in which one
  is discussing, dismissively, the sense of some adolescents  that their
  personal existential suffering is somehow exceptional; one might then talk
  about "garden variety anguish"

  the
  rhetorical force of "garden variety" is to suggest that the thing being thus
  labeled is not worth special notice, a way of minimizing the claim of
  something to be exceptional - and it's possible that "običan" does this in
  creation . . . perhaps hrvoje can comment

  mike

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.