[forwarded from NIACE - details of another conference]

________________________________

From: Syra Shafi [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Fri 30/05/2008 08:55
Subject: How Colleges can promote Community Cohesion

Dear Colleague,

I believe the following NIACE conference would be of interest to your role.

I would also like to enquire whether it would be possible for you to disseminate conference details to any relevant networks or contacts you may have.

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Syra Shafi
Publicity & Promotions Administrator
Conferences, Seminars & Courses
NIACE
Renaissance House
20 Princess Road West
Leicester
LE1 6TP
Tel: 01162044221
Fax: 01162548368

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NIACE Conference

How Colleges can promote Community Cohesion

Monday 16 June 2008, 09:45-15:45

London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 33 Queen Street, London

EC4R 1AP

Participant fee: £190 per person (includes lunch, NIACE does not charge VAT)

This conference will examine the role of colleges in promoting community cohesion.  Participants will hear from authoritative speakers including Bill Rammell (Minister for Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education) and Dr Abdul Bari (Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain).  Participants will form ideas on how to create a practical strategy and make a case for government funds to support community cohesion initiatives.

Audience

The event will be of particular interest to:

*	College Principals and senior staff
*	Managers of adult and community-based learning
*	Equality and Diversity Managers
*	Heads of ESOL and associated provision
*	National Union of Students (NUS) Officers
*	Student liaison officers and counsellors
*	Trade unionists and other advocates
*	 Staff involved in outreach and work in the community

Background

DIUS (the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills) and the AoC (Association of Colleges) have issued a public consultation document entitled 'The Role of Further Education Providers in Promoting Community Cohesion, Fostering Shared Values and Preventing Violent Extremism'. This paper focuses on promoting community cohesion as a fundamental factor for combating the perceived threat of Al-Qaida terrorism.

The Commission on Integration and Cohesion report 'Our Shared Future', defines its terms: "Cohesion is principally the process that must happen to ensure different groups of people get on well together; while integration is principally the process that ensures new residents and existing residents adapt to each other".

We need to consider how further education fits in since "the development of a culture of learning will help to build a united society." The Learning Age, DfEE,1998.

Aims

This conference will consider difficult questions such as:

*	How vulnerable are our students? Are colleges potential breeding grounds for terrorism?
*	Why should we bother? What's in it for the staff and students?
*	How can we improve inter-cultural skills and communication between people of different cultures?
*	Are colleges meeting the requirements to eliminate racism, and equality impact assess their practice?

For more information, to download an application form or to reserve a place online, visit the NIACE website:

http://www.niace.org.uk/conferences

Enquiries to NIACE Conferences Team - Tel: 0116 204 2833 / E-mail: [log in to unmask]

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to