Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:28:53 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ESOL Literacy
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working for a college in Nottingham and labouring through my MA at the same time. I aim to design a course for students who are learning English but who have little or no literacy in their first language. In all honesty this is not something that was covered in my teacher training and it seems a big assumption within the profession that as we are teaching second language users, they already have all 4 skills in their first language.

Most notably I am finding the early stages of the curriculum problematic and am finding that students are often perplexed by written materials available for ESOL students. I've seen materials/assessments for primary school literacy which do focus on the basics of literacy and the way children link phonics and the spoken word to what they are seeing on a page. However, engaging adult learners in literacy is not something that is met by the techniques available for young learners.

Is anyone else in this situation? What approaches have you tried? What works best in terms of effective teaching and what works best in terms of student self esteem? What about materials?

Thank you in advance for helping me out on this.

Yours,

Alicia Bowman

Miss your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your Mobile! *********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]

Messenger's gone Mobile! Get it now! *********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]