Well to me the epitome of what has been thought natural is summed up in this small quotation from
Hobbes

"Whatsoever therefore is consequent to a time of war, where every man is enemy to every man, the
same consequent to the time wherein men live without other security than what their own strength and
their own invention shall furnish them withal. In such condition there is no place for industry,
because the fruit thereof is uncertain: and consequently no culture of the earth; no navigation, nor
use of the commodities that may be imported by sea; no commodious building; no instruments of moving
and removing such things as require much force; no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of
time; no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of
violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Essentially I believe that the only natural rights are those you have managed to grasp for yourself
in the face of opposition.

Hobbes is writ large everywhere, if you doubt it look to your own academic communities and the dog
eat dog world that even this list iterates, for those of us who post here have of necessity got the
wherewithall to maintain an email account or live somewhere where we can post from without fear of
the consequences.

How does Hobbes pertain to the Olympics in China, just ask yourselves, is that natural? We don't
have to let the torch go by to realise we are all participant in that oppression and actually have
little choice about it, for what is it to be free in reality? Can we ever be free without putting
someone else into relative oppression. We want our consumer goods, so do the Chinese and we don't
care in the meantime if that leads to cockle pickers dying on a beach in Morecombe.

Larry (who let the evil genie out of the bottle to write that)