-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Hirst
Sent: 27 May 2008 15:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Health data scenario

Patients have a right under the DPA (and I think elsewhere) to see their
medical records but surely the best course of action would be to ask him
to obtain them from the original data holder, i.e. his GP.  I think this
would also be the most appropriate course of action in the case of a
report specifically prepared for the University by the GP.

Don't get embroiled in a tug of data between the GP and the student if
you can avoid it.

David Hirst
Head of Legal Services
University of Sunderland

Okey, Andrew wrote:

>One for all you fellow HE types out there. Any comments/thoughts on the

>following scenario gratefully received...
>
>A student due to take exams here is affected by illness.
>
>The student gave our support team permission to approach their GP for
>relevant medical details. This we did, obtaining the info direct from
>the GP.
>
>Now the student has asked to see these records. What parts of which
>laws might apply? (I'm particularly concerned that there's probably
>specific legislation relating to medical/health records that has an
>influence beyond the terms of the DP act..)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Andrew Okey
>Administrative Officer
>Student Registry
>Lancaster University
>01524-592138 (internal ext: 92138)
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     All archives of messages are stored permanently and are
>      available to the world wide web community at large at
>      http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/data-protection.html
>     If you wish to leave this list please send the command
>       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user
>commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
> Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the
list owner
>  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs
>        To receive these emails in HTML format send the command:
>         SET data-protection HTML to [log in to unmask]
>   (all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user
commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs

This email (and any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please do not disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please reply and tell us and then delete it. Should you wish to communicate with us by email we cannot guarantee the security of any data outside our own computer systems. For the protection of Legal & General's systems and staff, incoming emails will be automatically scanned. Any information contained in this message may be subject to applicable terms and conditions and must not be construed as giving investment advice within or outside the United Kingdom.

Legal & General Group plc is registered in England under company number 1417162 and is a holding company.

The registered office for all companies in the Legal & General group is One Coleman Street London EC2R 5AA.

The following subsidiary companies of Legal & General Group Plc are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority: Legal & General Partnership Services Limited, Legal & General Insurance Limited, Legal & General Assurance Society Limited, Legal & General (Unit Trust Managers) Limited and Legal & General (Portfolio Management Services) Limited.

Legal & General International (Ireland) is incorporated in Ireland under company number 440141 with its registered office at Alexandra House, The Sweepstakes, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 and is authorised by the Financial Regulator in Ireland and by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of insurance business in the UK.

Full details can be found at http://www.legalandgeneralgroup.com/