Apologies for cross posting- please distribute widely

Call for Papers

1st International Research Forum on Guided Tours

Halmstad University, April 23-25th, 2009
For more information about the conference:
http://www.hh.se/konferenser

Research regarding guiding involves several aspects of sustainable spatial
planning, place marketing and tourism who informs, develop and manage
knowledge concerning companies, rural- and city planning and cultural
heritage. Guiding is an activity that can be studied from an
interdisciplinary research perspective. Guiding is for instance part of
the experience industry where the meetings between people and new
environments can be augmented through technologies.

We hereby invite you to an international conference in Halmstad, Sweden on
April 23-25th 2009! We are seeking papers related to deliberate and
unintended attempts at leading and organizing, at giving alternative
voices of producing places and the experience of places, in literature,
music, art and other cultural expressions. We are particularly interested
in reflective, concept-driven and empirically grounded papers that
creatively and critically assess guided tours in familiar settings of
cities and rural landscapes as well as unfamiliar settings guided tours
not normally linked to cities.

We welcome papers that refer to, but are not limited to, themes such as:
•	The production of guiding images and representations
•	Technologies supporting guided tours
•	Experiences produced in guided tours
•	Guiding and sustainability
•	Substance and stimuli produced by guided tours
•	Guided tours as alternative empirical voices in city- and rural
research
•	The language of guiding and guiding with words
•	Different types of guided tours (transportation, content, target
groups)
•	Alternative understandings of guided tours
•	Contextualizing guided tours
•	Guiding and disabilities
•	Poetics and politics of guided imaginaries
•	Economical aspects of guiding

Proposals for papers should be within 150 words, and include your name,
affiliation and email address. Abstracts are to be submitted to all of the
Conference Organizing Committee members [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask],

Important deadlines:
- Submission of abstracts by November 2nd, 2008
- Decision of accepted abstracts are given no later than December 1st,
2008.

The product of the conference will be a book proposal involving a
selection of contributions made within the conference theme.

Conference Organizing Committee:
Petra Adolfsson, Ph.D Göteborg Research Institute, GRI, Göteborg
university

Rolf Solli, professor, Göteborg Research Institute, GRI, Göteborg
university

Mikael Jonasson, Ph.D Social- and Health Sciences, Halmstad university
college

Peter Dobers Peter Dobers, Professor School of Sustainable Development of
Society and Technology, Mälardalen University

Anette Hallin, Ph.D Student, The Royal Institute of Technology