Craig

I was meaning 'good' in the sense of interesting, provacative, well written,
based in personal experience. Speaks to the dangers of overextension
/preoccupation with being positive in the face of real suffering,
injustice and despair. Links the remarkable popularity of postitive
psychology to the broader politics and culture of american society but
doesnt dismiss the power of some of it. I thought it resonated in part with
the west midlands critique of layardism.

Workwise I am tied up with thinking about and promoting 'recovery' across a
range of care groups. Hope is a central feature of recovery. A lot people
who who are in disrepair or despair not surprisingly want to be met by/be
with people who are positive and who can help them keep it together in bad
times and find a way through. Kristjana Kriastiansen in her chapter
'Recovery in Psychosis  - Moments and levels of collaboration'  in Susan
Hunter and Pete Ritchies book 'Co-Production and Personalisation in Social
Care' talks about hopefulness not 'chronicity thinking' as being an
essential step forward. She also quotes Helen Glovers reference to human
services workers as 'holders of hope'. Her social role valorisation
credentials show through. The chapter is strong on the social nature of any
recovery process and what you need over and above hope. Youd like it because
she also emphasises the small everyday things. I am interested in the
apparent lack of an account in the recovery movement of why mental health
services are the way they are. Big Pharma or Psy doesnt really do it for
me.They are part of something bigger and more comlex. But maybe there is
more of an account in the original consumer/survivor movements writings. I
havent read them yet. As usual I am late to the party. What are they/we
recovering from? Why has the social model taken so long to arrive? Its not
as if its new. Whats going on in society now that it can get a big foot in
the door at last?

I guess I also learnt from 'normalising' 'learning disability' services the
futility and counterproductive nature of splitting and dumping the badness
and the blame on the staff and the system. Seems important that the same
mistakes are not made again.

Richard