Hi all,

This is in some ways related to a problem Justin posted about last summer
with regard to transposing XY planes to ZY planes, although in my case I
want to keep the XY view and open another window for the ZY view to help me
resolve degeneracies in my spectra. I didn't find an answer to the problem
on the forum, but may have missed it.

The long and short of the problem is, when I try to open a ZY window,
Analysis essentially takes over my computer until it runs out of memory and
crashes. Trying to create a contour file for the (2,3) dimension has the
same problem, as does creating a new project, making a (15N,13C) window with
1H on the Z-axis, and then trying to open the spectrum. For what it's worth,
the spectrum in HNCACB with moderate S/N, and the processed NMRPipe spectrum
file is ~800 MB on disk.

My gut feeling is that there is some sort of issue with contouring in this
dimension. Even if I set the contour level up an order of magnitude relative
to the "normal" view (which works fine) and then try to make a contour file,
the file just keeps growing (I aborted at > 1 GB, the "normal" contour file
is ~2.4 MB).

I'm running Analysis (upgraded via the menu late last week) on a 2 GHz Core
Duo iMac with 2 GB of RAM. It was compiled using Python 2.4.  Activity
Monitor shows Python grabbing <99% CPU (expected during contouring and not
problematic in and of itself), and also disturbingly shows the memory used
by python (i.e. analysis) growing until it grabs well over 1.6 GB of real
RAM plus virtual memory in excess of 12 GB before it finally crashes.

Messages from analysis are:

>>> python(287) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
python(287) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
python(287) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Drawing canvas tile ContourFile error: allocating contour memory
python(287) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
python(287) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
python(287) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Drawing canvas tile ContourFile error: getting xextended block data
python(287) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
python(287) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
python(287) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Drawing canvas tile ContourFile error: getting xextended block data
python(287) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
python(287) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
python(287) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
unable to alloc 144d bytes
/usr/local/ccpnmr/bin/analysis: line 8:   287 Abort trap
  /sw/bin/python -i -O
  $CCPNMR_TOP_DIR/ccpnmr1.0/python/ccpnmr/analysis/AnalysisGui.py
  $1 $2 $3 $4 $5

The final message is when the program crashed. Any suggestions/solutions
will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew