Hi everyone and thanks for your help with my cns problems.
I am sure that some settings in my file were leading to an escalation in the
memory requirement.
Since a significant portion of my model was polyala , I had edited my
anneal.inp file and increased the torsion_maxlength , torsion_maxtree and
torsion_maxchain to very high values . This probably resulted in the
explosive requirement for memory , which even my quad core Mac pro with 4 GB
of RAM was not able to satisfy.

On this machine I am showing numbers similar to what phil saw when I ran
limit.
Regardless,  I still have not arrived at a comfortable value for maxtree ,
maxchain and maxlength and have instead switched to running cartesian
molecular dynamics, which is working fine.

Thanks everyone for your help
Hari Jayaram