Clemens is right of course. If you ignore the lattice centring in C2,
the cells are the same.

I was however under the impression that auto-indexing goes via the
primitive cell. Which makes the two solutions unique.
Ignoring the possible lattice translation in P2 will show up in a
Patterson function (at 1/2,1/2,0 i think) . The lattice translation
might of course be a pseudo translation. In the C2 case, you would
miss weak reflections if P2 would be the right answer.

2008/5/1 Clemens Vonrhein <[log in to unmask]>:
> Dear Junyu,
>
>  it looks to me like you encounter a classical monoclinic feature: one
>  can index monoclinic always in two ways
>

>                          origin
>
>        A' ---------------------------------- A
>           \               /\               /
>            \             /  \             /
>             \           /    \           /
>              \         /      \         /
>               \       /        \       /
>                \     /          \     /
>                 \   /            \   /
>                  \ /              \ /
>                   /________________/
>
>                  C                  C'
>
>  One cell (A,B,C) has B coming towards you and the other (A',B',C') has
>  B' pointing away from you. The two axes A and A' have identical length
>  as have B and B'. But C' is the diagonal in the AC-plane.
>
>  In your case you can just swap the A and C axis of the C2 (to follow
>  the above picture) and then calculate the C' (diagonal) to 136.8.
>
>  So to summarize: these are identical cells - just different choice
>  of axes (and nothing to do with the C2 versus P2 choice ... I think).
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Clemens
>

>  On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:03:16PM -0400, Junyu Xiao wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > We run into an interesting space group problem. The same diffraction
>  > image can be either indexed into space group C2, with a=145, b=44,
>  > c=67, and beta=110.5; or space group P2 (should be P21 after
>  > scaling), with a=67, b=44, c=136, and beta=96.8. Both are refined ok
>  > during index. These two must somehow be related. Can anyone give some
>  > comments on that?
>  >
>  > Thanks a lot,
>  > Junyu
>  >
>  > =================================
>  > Junyu Xiao
>  > Department of Biological Chemistry,
>  > University of Michigan
>  >
>  > Lab address:
>  > 3163 Life Sciences Institute,
>  > University of Michigan,
>  > 210 Washtenaw Avenue
>  > Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2216
>  > Phone: 734-615-2078
>  > ==================================
>  >
>  >
>  >

>  --
>
>  ***************************************************************
>  * Clemens Vonrhein, Ph.D.     vonrhein AT GlobalPhasing DOT com
>  *
>  *  Global Phasing Ltd.
>  *  Sheraton House, Castle Park
>  *  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK
>  *--------------------------------------------------------------
>  * BUSTER Development Group      (http://www.globalphasing.com)

P.H. Zwart
Beamline Scientist
Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA-94703, USA
Cell: 510 289 9246
BCSB: http://bcsb.als.lbl.gov
PHENIX: http://www.phenix-online.org
CCTBX: http://cctbx.sf.net