I believe some, may not be all, negative density may be due to the
choice of wavelength.  C,O and N are not so sensitive to normally
used wavelength (1-1.54A), but S does.  This is more true when you
have higher resolution and better quality data.  You can estimate
this by f'.

By the way, although I am not a real supporter of "radicals from
damage", I believe that a photo-induced (here X-ray) chemical
reaction is much different from a heat-induced one.  Low temperature
is not a problem.  But this not for diffusion, as it is ~100% heat-
related.  Please point out if I am wrong.
> This "assignment" of free radicals to damage is often made
> (flippantly) in the literature, but I feel a strong need to point
> out that there is NO EVIDENCE of a free radical diffusion mechanism
> for radiation damage below ~130K.

Lijun Liu, PhD
Institute of Molecular Biology
HHMI & Department of Physics