We had enough problem with infection control issues when they were in use,
let alone giving them to another person.

However, if you are using a spittle trap which can be demonstrated to be
effective, and the sensor you are using can be effectively decontaminated -
although I am not sure how you prove that, then if the actual sensor is very
costly, it may be worth trying.

Systems these days seem to use an isolating diaphragm, so that breath from
the user never gets to the sensor element.

I do remember once opening up an old sip/puiff switch unit, it was pretty
gungy inside.

On the whole it would seem to be safer to discard the older units in favour
of the isolated diaphragm type.

          Geoff

G.J.Harbach   I.Eng  MIED  IIPEM
Clinical Technologist
"Access to Communication & Technology"
West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre
91 Oak Tree Lane, Selly Oak
Birmingham, B29 6JA
Tel 0121  204 1641

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing
or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author
by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.