Dear Colleagues

I have been asked by someone undertaking an historic reconstruction at a
place in Galloway, S.W. Scotland, for some guidance as to the 'food
available in 1570', specifically with reference to grains.

I have suggested that bread wheat, 6-row barley and oats, and probably also
rye, would have been available but I made the mistake of suggesting that
some of the crops, at least, might have been morphologically taller than
those grown today... if my correspondent is (as I suspect) planning an
exhibition, short-growing wheat and barley is NOT going to look authentic,
I think.

Of course, he is now asking for sources for tall-growing crops of the right
kind (serves me right!). Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Allan

-- Dr Allan Hall, English Heritage Senior Research Fellow, Department of
Archaeology, University of York, The King's Manor, York YO1 7EP, U.K. Tel.
+44 1904 434950/fax: 433902

(You can e-mail me on arh1 or biol8 (i.e. BIOL8 not BIO18!) - but arh1 is
now preferred...)