Dear all,

Capability studies usually go hand in hand with control charting
implying that data is collected in time order.  However, could I ask, if
we know that a system is 'in control' and we are given one large sample
from that system (not in time order as the system data comes from many
sites at different demographic locations), can a capability study still
be done using this large sample?   All examples on capability I have
looked at seem to indicate that the observations/subgroups have to be
collected in time order.....we could not, for example, treat this as
'one at a time' data as standard deviation (for potential [within]
capability) would be calculated using a moving range in which the
observations have to be in time order.

Many thanks for your help in advance,
Kin Regards
Kim