From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenny Woodhouse
Sent: 08 May 2008 11:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Staff race equality networks

Dear colleagues

I have recently taken over responsibility, pro tem, for work in the area of race equality.  We have recently attempted to launch a race equality network, with very little initial take-up.  As a white woman I can only speculate as to why this is - whether our global majority (thanks to Gus John for the formulation) staff simply don't want  a network, or whether the culture discourages them from seeking to network, for instance by locating the 'problem' with the individual rather than the culture (Carter, Fenton, Modood, c. 1998).

I'd be very grateful for any information colleagues can give me about successful networks, how they have been set up, how they function, and any suggestion such as speakers who might help us to focus.

With best wishes to all - sorry to trouble you again so soon!

Jenny

Jenny Woodhouse
Equality and Diversity Policy Officer
University of Cambridge Human Resources Division
25 Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1QA
01223 332344

Please note  that I work part-time.  My normal working days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.