**apologies for cross posting**

Disability Equality Partnership

Inclusive policy and practice: Research Seminar Series

You are cordially invited to attend the next seminar in our series:

Visual approaches to teaching and assessment: inclusive practice
by

Pauline Ridley, Alice Fox and Jane Fox

Tuesday 15th July 2008 1pm - 4pm

University of Brighton

Room 101, Mayfield House, Falmer Campus, University of Brighton,
England, BN1 9PH

Map and directions at
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/maps/falmer.php?PageId=756

Details of the research to be presented:

This session will present the findings of two interlinked pieces of
research which provide insights into how visual approaches to teaching
and assessment can be developed to benefit students with and without
disabilities. They are:

1)     Access to Art (a2a) a community /university project which has
brought together university students, staff and adults with learning
difficulties to develop an innovative and successful visual arts course
whose work has been exhibited at Tate Modern.

2)     Visual assessment practices The above work has also contributed
to a wider project, jointly funded by the LearnHigher CETL and the HEA
Subject Centre for Art Design Media, to explore the use of visual
assessment practices in different disciplines.

Themes for discussion in this seminar include the very positive impact
on all students of adopting more creative and inclusive approaches to
assessment design; the importance of articulating tacit expectations,
particularly when unfamiliar assessment formats are adopted; ways to
improve access to and participation within HE for students with learning
difficulties; the ethical, technical and methodological issues that
arise from researching non-verbal aspects of student learning.

There are 30 free-of-charge places available for this seminar, and these
will be allocated on a strictly first-come-first served basis.  You
should await confirmation of a place before attending.

To reserve your place, please email [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  by 12.00pm Tuesday 8th July 2008.  Please
indicate if you have any accessibility or dietary requirements at the
time of booking

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131