From: Helen Archer (Cwm Taf NHS Trust) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 May 2008 14:18
To: Garner, Katie
Subject: RE: CPA and the Environmentally-responsible Laboratory

Helen Archer
Senior Chief Biomedical Scientist
Clinical Biochemistry
Royal Glamorgan Hospital

Tel   01443 443359
Email  [log in to unmask]

Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of Cwm Taf NHS Trust or any constituent part or connected body.  The information contained in this E-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the FOI Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this E-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.

Dylai unrhyw ddatganiadau neu sylwadau uchod gael eu trin fel rhai personol ac nid o reidrwydd fel datganiadau neu sylwadau gan Ymddiriedolaeth Gig Cwm Taf, unrhyw ran ohoni neu unrhyw gorff sy'n gysylltiedig â hi.  Gall y wybodaeth yn y neges e-bost hon cael ei dadlennu i'r cyhoedd dan Ddeddf Rhyddid Gwybodaeth 2000.  Onid yw'r wybodaeth wedi cael ei heithrio'n gyfreithiol o gael ei dadlennu, ni ellir gwarantu cyfrinachedd y neges e-bost hon a'ch ateb iddi.

Hi Chris, David,

On the environmental theme CEP are trying to highlight the key environmental and sustainability issues for technologies under consideration in our reports. We're describing how these issues should be considered and any significant environmental impacts minimised. For future market reviews in buyer's guides we've developed a list of questions for manufacturers the answers to which will be presented in a comparative table. We appreciate that the industry has only just begun to think about these things but we feel that asking the questions and presenting the evidence comparatively should act as a lever for improvement. We have seen this work with the analyser monitoring programme. Manufacturers dislike being ranked below their competitors and raise their game accordingly.

We're also working on a project on energy use of medical devices which will include a protocol or tool for working out energy consumption and energy costs.

CEP reports can be downloaded free from nww.pasa.nhs.uk/cep or www.pasa.nhs.uk/cep Sign up for email notification of CEP reports by emailing [log in to unmask]

Katie Garner
Pathology Cluster Manager

Centre for Evidence-based Purchasing