I encourage you to look through the SPM manual

http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/manual.pdf

John Ashburner's review article: Ashburner J, Friston KJ (2000) Voxel-based
morphometry - The Methods. Neuroimage 11:805-821.

and the SPM code
spm_write_sn.m
spm_smooth.m

for more information about he actual algorithms implemented in spm for
normalization  and smoothing.

darren