Hallo,

may I ask what is permuted, the explanatory variable of interest
alone, or the variable of interest and nuisance covariates? I would
think that only the variable of interest should be permuted, but I
would be interested to hear if there is a rationale for permuting
variables of interest and covariates together, or if anyone has strong
opinions in one or the other direction.

We are currently using permutation tests in the statistical analysis
of our data, and permute the variable of interest only, so my question
also has a practical relevance. If no one cares, then we'll keep using
our approach.

Thanks a lot,

Roberto Viviani
Dept. of Psychiatry